Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cafe Chocolate of Lititz, Lititz PA

Wilbur Chocolate FactoryA few weeks ago I had the pleasure of brunching at the Café Chocolate in Lititz, Pa.

About an hour and a half outside of Philly, Lititz makes for a great day in the country. The town itself is quaint, with delightfully kitschy shops galore.
Lititz is home to Wilbur’s Chocolate Factory and Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery. It’s well worth the drive on a beautiful day.

Despite it’s name, the Café Chocolate offers a full menu of other delights, with lots of vegetarian-friendly options. I am tempted to order the Mulligatawny Soup (with organic quinoa & veggies) but the day is just a tad too warm. Instead I opt for the House Salad.



House Salad & Chocolate Strawberry LushSuper fresh mixed baby greens, perfectly ripe grapefruit slices, artichoke hearts, and crushed walnuts, served with a perfectly tart chocolate raspberry balsamic vinaigrette, this salad is a not a bad deal for $3.95.



Chocolate Strawberry Lush


I also order a Chocolate Strawberry Lush ($4.95). Clearly the drink to order, about 4 or 5 locals stop in and order it to go while I am enjoying my meal. Similar to a frozen hot chocolate, this drink combines cocoa, strawberries and ice.




Café Chocolate also offers some fantastic looking desserts. I can’t help but order a slice of the Key Lime Tart, which comes in an organic chocolate cookie crust, and beautifully plated with dark chocolate sauce. Not too sweet, not too sour, this tart is delicious but extremely rich.

Key Lime Tart

Totally full, I relax for a bit in my comfortable sofa-chair and take a look around. There is a shelf full of books to read, if you want to settle in for awhile. There is also a soda-fountain style bar, where a couple has just adorably ordered one drink to share. As I leave, I notice they also have a patio area if you want to eat outside. As well as a shelf full of cute little gift items.

Next time I’m here I am going to have to try the Breakfast Panini – toasted peanut butter & banana panini with dark chocolate ($5.95). Or perhaps some Sunshine Crepes – filled with fresh strawberries, kiwi, pineapples, grapes, bananas, with pure local maple syrup & dark chocolate, dollops of organic fresh whipped cream ($9.95).
Or maybe I’ll go savory with a Portabella Mushroom Burger – Meatless burger served on a wheat bolillo roll, with vine ripened tomato, Vermont cheddar cheese, and jalapeño mayonnaise ($7.95).

Oh yeah, they also sell some super good chocolates too…


If you go:

1 comment:

Tim said...

Glad to see you posting, again! The place looks like fun!