Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sabrina's Cafe

Sabrina's is a Philadelphia brunch standby. I have never eaten there on a weekend because the line outside is always way too long. They do not take reservations, but from what I hear, you can call when you're on your way and they will add your name to the waiting list. Or, if you're like me, you can eat there at dinnertime or have a weekday brunch. Even then, the place is never empty.

One of my favorite things about Sabrina's is that they have a wide selection of seasonal specials and they even update their specials list on their website!

On a recent visit, I tried the Pumpkin “Spice Up your Life" Pancakes ($11.95). These come with a with a Butternut Squash-spice cake topping, rum soaked raisins, berry maple syrup and fresh blueberries. Extremely filling, I could not finish the plate.

Pumpkin 'Spice Up Your Life' Pancakes

The pancakes were wonderful, but the topping was much too sweet for me and the squash seemed out of place. I also had a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice ($3.99). Sabrina's o.j. is among the best available at restaurants in this city, but you can buy fresher tasting organic orange juice from Whole Foods for less.

My brunchmate ordered the Cali Turkey Sandwich ($9.29), which comes with a side of fries but they substituted a house salad for no extra charge.

Cali Turkey Sandwich

The sandwich was: “tasty!” But we knew we were on the east coast, because they had run out of avocado.

While I enjoy Sabrina's, I feel that they are the “summer blockbuster” of Philadelphia brunches. Yes it's good, and yes you will leave happy, but if you're willing to explore a bit, there is a lot more out there that is even better.


While people tell me that the “sequel” (located in Fairmount) is equally great, I have yet to check it out.



If you go:

  • 910 Christian Street Philadelphia, PA 19147
  • Phone: (215) 574-1599
  • They accept credit cards.
  • Sabrina's Website

No comments: