Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 Raw Foods Challenge, Day 1

grapefruitHappy New Year! I decided to start this year with a challenge.

Specifically, Brad's Raw Chips 7 Day Raw Foods Challenge .

I always figured that if I would ever try a raw foods diet it would be in the middle of summer, but today marks day one of the seven day challenge. Each day I'm going to be writing about the experience and posting recipes and photos.




grapefruit with grapefruit knife
Today I started breakfast with a delicious fresh grapefruit, something I love in the mornings anyway so it was hardly a challenge. Preparing it is super easy with a grapefruit knife.









For lunch, I had an apple, a handful of steam-pasteurized almonds, a slice of Amish raw milk cheddar cheese with microbial rennet, and a piece of somewhat local raw honeycomb.







Despite what you might think, honeycomb is totally edible and quite tasty when paired with nuts, fruit & cheese!




For dinner I'm making one of my summer favorites, Tomato Avocado salad (with the onion and fresh squeezed lemon pictured below). However, I think I may have messed up a little bit. My recipe includes balsamic vinegar, which I thought was raw, but after a quick search on the internet it seems most (if not all) are not. Oops! Hopefully that won't disqualify me, but all in all this has been a pretty raw day.



Another new thing for Brunch Philly this year, I'm going to be posting occasional recipe videos. The first one will appear later today and is for tonight's dinner, Tomato Avocado Salad. Stay tuned!

No comments: